Frequently asked questions

When Does The Training Take Place?

2022 Training sessions will take place in Walsrode (Northern Germany): Address: Camp Adventure Academy, Vethem 58, 29664 Walsrode, Germany

  • NOTE: If you are unable to attend any of the training, then we can not offer you a placement.

What To Expect From The Training Session?

Our intensive 7 day International Camp Counselor (ICC) training session will focus on your personal skills with the aim to offer you a specific profile-oriented preparation for the role you will perform within the different camp program areas, for which you will get special training sessions whether it be High Ropes, Language Coaching, Survival & Adventure or Arts & Crafts. Furthermore, you will obtain a Bronze Cross -Life Guard- Course complementary to the ICC. Optionally you can also participate in a 1 and a half day First Aid course.

All in all, you will get started with a professional complete 7 days training session through which you will be able to considerably broaden your personal skills. So, you can expect…
    • A fantastic week full of an energetic crowd gathering in a patch of forest, just an hour away from Hamburg.
    • An opportunity to meet like-minded people and enjoy experiential learning through educational and recreational activities, games & group dynamics.
    • A lot of action at our campsite in Walsrode. where you’ll meet other international faces with whom you will spend a wicked summer.
      The contents of the International Camp Counselor Training are many. From knowing how you can entertain children and young people to what to do accurately with homesickness: passing through legal aspects, on how to develop presentation skills to perform in front of large groups and other counseling techniques for instructing various activities such as survival, team building, etc; our coaching team has prepared a full training pack for you.
    • The only thing you must bring, is your own fantastic & motivated good feeling vibe to start the summer!
    • If you don’t have a first aid certificate or your old one has expired, you can complete this course after the International Camp Counselor Training at our campsite in Walsrode.*
The camp-specific seminars, they all take place directly at each camp-site, during this occasion you will meet with the rest of the team, explore the premises, etc

What Are The Program Area Trainings ?

All staff members will perform as International Camp Counselors. However, due to different camp programs some staff members will deepen their skills in different program areas.

      • The Language Coach training is aimed at those who will perform at one of the Language Camps. During the training you will learn our coaching philosophy and a variety of games and activities, so that you have the tools to keep the campers active and entertained.
      • Climbing & High ropes course training will provide you with a CA Academy program Area Assistant Director certificate.
      • Outdoor Adventure, Creative & Drama training will provide you with a CA Academy program Area Assistant Director certificate.
GEOlino training is only available for German speaking staff members with a very good language proficiency. The training will provide you with all necessary skills to lead a newspaper and photography workshop

Does The Training Session Have Any Cost?

The International Camp Counselor Training Session nor the placement allocation have no cost, other than the volunteering time and effort you will provide to our camps. In order for Camp Europe to be able to confirm your commitment and prepare everything before your arrival, we require a deposit of 290 Euros which are reimbursed upon a succesful completion of the training session and 4 weeks of volunteer placement. Participation in the first aid certification course has a cost of 65 €not included in the deposit.
Language Coach, Climbing & High Ropes, Outdoor Adventure, Arts & Crafts training are also free of charge

Who Will Be There?

All senior staff, returning staff and new internees will meet for a fantastic training session full of great moments. Last summer 180 staff members from 30 different nations joined our team.

What To Keep In Mind About The Training Sessions?

  • The accommodation is in tents. The premises can be found by some people as basic or even rustic. We are all based on community collaboration, so we cook our own meals and we clean and tiddy up ourselves.
  • Although mid summer, at night it can get chilly. Bring warm clothes for sleeping.
  • Bring Bug spray.
  • Sometimes it can get really wet, bring rain gear and plastic bag for protecting your stuff from water.
  • Bring any musical instruments, typical stuff from your country and 1 donation item for the yearly charity silent auction.
There is no WI FI during training session and neither in most camp location. Take advantage of that great chance, unplug yourself and make friends from all over the world

Is Training Mandatory?

For ALL summer placements, the general training will be held in Germany. Additionally, every camp offers a more specific training, according to the nature of each summer camp. (i.e. Horseback Riding Camp, ESA camp (European Space Agency, Rock Climbing Camp, etc)
If you are assigned to one of these camps, you still have to attend the General Mandatory Camp, and then the corresponding training to your specific placement, which takes place normally 2 or 3 days before the start of the specific program.

Do I Get Compensation During Training?

Full Room & Board is provided during the training, as well as
All Equipment & Materials and lots of fun.
No weekly stipend, though.

What Are The Duties Involved On The Role I Will Be Performing?

As a Language Coach, you have to create and run your own program for a few hours every day teaching english to kids; through games, group dynamics, sports, creative activities, etc. The weekly stipend you receive is determined by your expertise level and responsibilities. After your teaching sessions, you will become a regular camp support staff.

As a Counselor, you will be in charge of a group (6-8) of children / youth. Making sure they are safe, having fun, integrating to camp life, performing their chores, and over all, motivating them to have a great summer time in the outdoors.
As an Adventure Guide you will either assist in the High Ropes Course or run projects like Kayak, Canoeing, Survival

Do I Need To Sign A Contract?

Prior to departure, you will sign a Memorandum of Understanding, which might suffer minor changes according to your assigned camp & country of placement; however the main elements on it and the terms and conditions will remain unchanged.
During the on-site training session, any final contract particulars can be discussed with CE coordinators and senior staff.

Does My Placements Starts Right After The Training Session Is Concluded?

Not necessarily. Your placement assignation is established according to many factors, such as: your time availability, camp preferences, interview results, etc.
Most likely you will have from 3 days and up to 2 weeks between training and first placement. In such case, you can take advantage to go traveling around on your own or with new friends you will make during training

Do I Need A Work Permit?

No. Your participation in the program is structured under European laws as an Internship exempted from paying any sort of taxes. The money you will receive is mostly intended to help you recover your inter continental transportation expenses.

Am I Required To Follow An Exact Program?

There are main goals within the programs. Its content is carefully set out in our Camp Europe’s program guidelines; however, the specific activities which are used to reach these goals can vary according to your skills and interests. This will all be discussed in detail during the training session.

How Old Are The Other Counselors And Where Do They Come From?

They come from all over the globe, mainly: Germany, Ireland, UK, Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Egypt, Spain, Mexico, South Africa, South America, India, and others. The counselors are generally between 19 and 35 years old.
Working always in mixed age groups, tolerance and respect for diversity is found in the training groups as well as in our camp groups.

Can I Get In Contact With Some Of My Fellow Partners Before The Summer, So We Can Perhaps Plan Some Traveling Together?

Every year, we create a pool of email addresses with all participants that accept to share their contact details, in order to get you in contact with other participants. The email for participants to get in contact with each other is sent by mid May
Also, you can always access our facebook page to get Social with Camp Europe. Click here

Do I Get Any Time Off During My Placement?

Every 2 weeks, you get one night off (from dinner time and until breakfast time the next morning).
Also, every camp session starts on a Sunday evening and it ends the following Saturday morning. So, between Saturday noon (after clean up) you have time to go out and relax, either on your own or with the rest of the camp’s staff crew.

What Do I Need To Bring To Camp With Me? Is Bringing A Laptop Feasible?

If you are participating as a Language Coach it will be very convenient, as you will be required to prepare lessons, and do presentations.
If you are participating as a Camp Counselor, you can also bring it, if you will.
As for other items, you will get a packing list later on, along with your Preliminary Placement Offer

Do I Have To Be Able To Speak The Hosting Country’s Language?

No, but be prepared to get immersed in the local language, and be open to the idea of exploring the culture, the food and traditions of a foreign nation.

Is It Possible To Prolong The Number Of Placement Weeks?

Yes; However, contract extension decisions are to be agreed upon, directly with the Camp Europe representatives in your host country in Europe. Every year we have a few spots available to teach English during the Spring and the Fall.
If you are interested, make sure to let us know so on your application and during the interview.

Are Camps A Peanut Free Environment?

No, although nuts in general are not included in the daily diet of our menus, we can not guarantee a peanut free environment

Do Camps Provide Alternative Meals?

At all camps there is always a vegetarian meal option

Do Camps Provide Gluten-Free Meals?


Do I Need A Visa?

Depends. For all participants in the 6-Month Outdoor Education Diploma program, yes, you need to obtain a working holiday visa. For all other programs, participants from the EU, Canada, USA and Australia, you do not need any Visa. Citizens from th rest of the world will need to obtain a regular Tourist Schengen Visa. In this case, upon receiving a Preliminary Placement Offer, you will also receive a Format Letter directed to the German consulate of your country, in order for you to include it in the list of documents that are required. Please note that this letter does not guarantee you will obtain the visa, as it is not Camp Europe's decision.

Does Camp Europe Provide The Flight To Europe?

No, we are not a travel agency. However, we can provide tips and offer suggestions, based on our experience. Airfare reservations and purchases are the sole responsibility of each participant

Does Camp Europe Provide Any Transportation?

Camp Europe provides a complimentary shuttle service from Hamburg Airport to the General Training site (only for Training 1 - last week in June). Additionally, you can also get picked up at the ttown´s train station.

Do I pay for my transfers between campsites?

If you travel between two camp locations, your transfers will be organized by Camp Europe. If you are placed outside of Germany (e.g. England, Ireland) your transportation will also be organized by Camp Europe (during the staff training). Please DO NOT book any flights into/out of Ireland/England prior to training. You MUST be present in Germany before the start of your placement and return to Germany after the end of your placement (If you travel outside of Germany before your placement you will have to come back to Germany. After your placement finishes, you can book any potential outward flights from Germany - not from Ireland nor England).

Is Traveling Mandatory?

Depending on the training session, and your placement dates, you may have an opportunity to travel before your training session, between your training session and placement, and/or after your placement.

Why Do I Need To Pay To Get A Volunteer Placement?

We do not offer any sort of jobs.
We are an International Placement Partnership Organization.
We offer International Placement Opportunities> Summer Staff - Internship - Diplomas.
The Payable Fee that covers many different expenses incurrid on by offering this full service package, such as:

  • Full Room & Board
  • Shuttle Service
  • All Program’s Materials,
  • Airport Shuttle
  • Transportation to Hosting Camps,
  • T-Shirt,
  • Plus, all required Administrative Costs.
  • In return , you get>
    • 4 different exhaustive training sessions that will develop and enhance your personal, physical and teaching skills, such as:
    • International Camp Counselor Training.
    • Bronze Cross Lifeguard Training
    • High Ropes Course Assistant Training,
    • Language Coach Training,
    • Outdoor Adventure Guide Training,
    • Crafts & Drama Program Training.
    • Your Confirmation deposit upon completing the 4th week of placement.
And a weekly stipend of 75 and up to 250 euros/week from the 5th week of placement onwards.

Are There Any Additional Expenses I Should Be Prepared For?

Depending on your plans, but basically:

  • Your plane ticket,
  • Any hostels you might need to stay at, and all meals while you are not at camp / training,
  • Any other required transportation,
  • Souvenirs & any personals.
If you decide to complete your 1st aid course during the training week in Germany, you will need to pay 65 EUR for it.

Is It Mandatory To Have International Medical Coverage?

Yes. We are able to offer these placements only to participants who present either: A European Health Card, a valid International Medical Coverage Policy or a Travel Insurance that covers medical expenses for participants while they participate in the training course and during the full length of their placement.
You can get an instant quotation for a Reliable Full International Travel Insurance here.

What Is The Weekly Stipend?

The 290 EUR deposit covers all related costs of a 7-day staff training, full board and accommodation. This deposit will be reimbursed to you upon completing 4 placement weeks. For every additional week of placement there’s a weekly stipend of 75 EUR. On top of this we cover travel expenses.
For 2nd year returnees the weekly stipend raises to 100 EUR / week
For 3rd year returnees the weekly stipend raises to 150 EUR / week.

Do I get Paid in Check?

No. All weekly stipends are paid in cash at the end of the each placement week.